The History of the Location
This address if part of the original location for the Denver Hall and elephant Corral, a center of activity in the early days of the city’s founding. By the late 1880s and early 1890s the Revere Hotel was operating here and in 1910 the present structure was built to house Sharp Brothers Sheet Metal Works. The current residents, Denver Machine Shop, moved into the building in 1938.
The old ledger books show pricing at the time was sometimes as low as $.50 for material and $1.50 for labor.
Machine Shop History
Fred A. White began his machinery path when he served his machinist’s apprenticeship with Hingly Machine Shop. In 1916 he founded Denver Machine Shop originally located at 1417 18th Street. In the early days of the business, the railroads and mining industries provided much of the work for the fifty employees. The shop flourished with customers from the local gold and silver mining industry, the steel industry in Pueblo, the sugar industry, and the transportation industry (with shafts and wheels for wahons and buggies) and the railroads. At this time there were few telephones so work was discussed on a daily basis at the Oxford Hotel over lunch. As those industries declined, Denver Machine Shop branched out to a variety of customers.
In support of WWII equipment demands Denver Machine Shop contracted with the U.S. government to manufacture items required for the war effort.
In 1938 The Machine Shop moved to the larger facility at 14th and Blake street. During the war The Machine Shop was assigned to make howitzer shells and Keep parts on a priority basis.
The Future of Denver Machine Shop
Third generations Jim and Lee White continue to offer the same specialized service for machine repair. Today the business was about a half dozen machinists working with the lathes, mills, and drill presses. The employees create one-of-a-kind and few-of-a-kind parts, often doing engineering, machining and problem solving in a single job. From welding beer taps for local taverns to making fire doors for Coors Field to providing special parts and repairs for Elitch Gardens.