On the original site of the Washington Hotel and Studebaker Buddy and Carriage House, this building was constructed in 1906 for the Spratlen-Anderson Mercantile Company.
Spratlen-Anderson was a successful Denver wholesale grocery business that expanded into the building upon its completion and remained there until the company was dissolved in 1923. During the companies prime several seizures were issues to the mercatnile company for issues such as misbranding of cherries and olive oil. These documents can be read online today. When the company dissolved in 1923 the building was sold to the Davis Brothers Drug Company who occupied the building until 1985.
Today is the building has become the Edbrooke Lofts. The building was acquired and convertred to residential lofts at the beginning of Denver’s lower downtown renaissance in 1990. This building was the original loft project in Denver, therefore most of Edbrooke’s lofts are larger than average.
Frank Edbrooke designed the original structure and a two-story addition that was built in 1919. Edbrooke moved to Denver and became a very successful architect, he grew to be the city’s premier architect. Edbrooke designed every type of building from institutional to domestic architecture. He introduced new styles and techniques for building design into Denver. Edbrooke’s work ranges from the Romanesque style seen in his design of The Brown Palace to his own Queen Anne inspired residence at 931 East 17th St.
Edbrooke became a founding member of the Colorado AIA and the final architect for the Colorado State Capitol.
Edbrooke finished the Spratlen-Anderson Building towards the end of his career and the building design reveals his transition to a simpler, more sober and refined style. Edbrooke is especially noted for his design of the Brown Palace Hotel, the Navarre, the Masonic Temple, the Oxford Hotel and the Denver Dry Building.